Focus on WISH+ project - Component 1
[WISH+ Component 1: Targeted, large-scale implementation of watershed interventions to improve systems health]
On-site project implementation will occur in targeted watershed and coral reef areas in the Vatu-i-Ra (Fiji) and Bismarck-Solomon Seascape (PNG, Solomon Islands).
While the headwaters of the watersheds are largely undisturbed, downslope areas are under development pressure from human population growth, logging and agricultural activities, which can disrupt a range of ecological and hydrological services for local people.
To maximize and maintain the benefits of these ecosystem services , the integration of wetland conservation and wise use through holistic integrated watershed management is essential.
The following solutions will be implemented:
#1 Intervention in critical watersheds
- Work with landowners to integrate their Water and Sanitation Safety Plans into broader sustainable land use management and ensure that the rules are implemented.
- Conduct targeted workshops and trainings to build the governance capacity of traditional leaders, resource management committees, and local committees to coordinate and implement integrated watershed management.
- Work with interested communities to protect biodiversity-rich forests and rehabilitate degraded watersheds through reforestation.
- Install water, sanitation and hygiene infrastructure in selected villages and watersheds where there are critical needs to improve water quality and security that cannot be fully addressed with NbS.
#2 Monitoring and surveillance
- Conduct rigorous baseline and endline ecological, biophysical, and socioeconomic monitoring to measure impact and outcome indicators that will allow evaluation of direct and indirect results related to the activity's interventions.
- Collect data on syndromic diseases thanks to key informant surveys.